We all want to eat chocolate biscuits and pizza, and ice cream and double cheese burgers and French fries, if possible with mayo. Crisps, cake, muffins, fish & chips, whatever tickles you… generally is something that will not be of any help when you are trying to maintain a ripped physique.
Toning and fats are generally opposite to each other, and that is dramatic because fat is precisely the one ingredient that gives your food palatability… which means good taste in simple English.
As you know if you have seen the pictures or check the recipes in this blog, eating well and clean doesn’t mean not eating delicious, but it definitely doesn’t mean eating what one wants at every opportunity.
So anyway, I want to have my cake, and eat it too! I want a toned, slim line figure but I want to be able to enjoy the occasional treat like everyone else, because life is meant to be enjoyed!! But in order to do this, there are a couple of do’s and don’ts that we need to keep in mind.
How to cheat then??
- Cheat meal is exactly that: a meal. Not a day, not a weekend, not a week, a meal. In a week of good food behaviour, you can take your pick and eat whatever you want in one meal, preferably with more carbohydrates to maximise the benefits, since they are the ones that will make our bodies more efficient in transferring them to the muscles afterwards.
- Preferably do it in a day that you are training: a big weight training day or a long run are best, to minimise the fat that could be stored after it
- If you are in a keto diet, that is low carb, please do not attempt this. Your body is burning fat as fuel as oppose to glucose because you are having none of it. It takes your body a certain amount of time to get into that state, that depends on the number of times you have gone in and out of keto before and the speed at which your body consumes its glucose reserves which are in the muscles and in the liver… this is generally anything between 24 and 72h. Each time you go out of keto (ie by eating a carbohydrate of certain glycemic charge) your body will happily and very quickly come out of keto state, and guess what?it will be storing up to 120% more glucose that before. What this means is that your body will take then longer to get back into keto… and each time you do this it will take longer, until it has no effect at all. Sorry to break the news to you, but someone had to. Keto, Dukan, Atkins and the sorts of those, are not compatible with cheating.
- You cheat once a week while trying to lose weight
- You can cheat twice a week once you are in maintenance
- You can split your cheating having a 10% of your calories from chocolate/pizza/ice cream.. a day. This is a bit silly because normally is something like ¼ portion of a slice of pizza, so basically, smell the pizza pass by you.
So this is it, short and sweet.
Enjoy the burger my friends, and remember, cheat wisely!